There are a lot of factors that insurance companies look at when calculating your automotive insurance rates, and one of the most significant is the type of vehicle you are driving. Some cars are significantly more costly to insure than others, and you may be surprised to learn why this is, and what some of the most expensive cars are to insure.
There is a common misconception that bright red sports cars cost more to insure than family sedans and SUVs, but this is often untrue, as some of the factors that may make a vehicle more costly to insure include:
- Horsepower of the vehicle's engine
- Repair costs and parts value
- Replacement value
- Size of the vehicle
- Theft and vandalism statistics
- Mercedes SL65 AMG: This car has a number of factors working against it when it comes to the cost of insurance. It is small and zippy, with a high horsepower engine. The value of the vehicle is high, as is the repair cost.
- BMW 750i: This four door sedan doesn't come with quite the zippy power as the Mercedes SL65, and is a bit larger in size, too. Yet it does have a high value and a high repair cost. With its BMW emblem emblazoned on it, it is also coveted by car thieves.
- Aston Martin DB9 Coupe: This luxury, 2-door coupe boasts a high price tag along with a high replacement cost, too. It's powerful engine and small size entice its owners to drive it faster than many other models, too
- Mercedes G55 AMG: The box-like appearance of this luxury SUV is anything but zippy. Yet with its appeal to thieves, its high repair cost, and its large price tag, this SUV is included as one of the most expensive vehicles to insure.
The Bottom Line:
About the Author: Tom has been in the automotive field for years, and he speaks from experience. He currently blogs for a top rated cash for autos company. His company offers a cash for clunkers program in San Diego.
Photo By: M93